The Act of June 28, 1834, called for a reduction in the amount of gold used to make the Half Eagle. Before this time the coin had been worth significantly more than its face value. The act reduced the diameter of the coin to 22.5mm. Composition was changed to .8992 gold and .1008 silver and copper. William Kneass designed the new coin, which featured the classic Liberty pose on the front, and the modified eagle of 1813 on the reverse. The inscription E PLURIBUS UNUM was removed to distinguish this coin from earlier mints. The Act of January 18, 1837, further reduced the amount of gold used in producing this coin to .900.
Classic Head Gold $5 Half Eagle, 1834 to 1838.
- Post author By Alexandre Laurent
- Categories In Gold coins and bars
- Tags Gold $5 Half Eagle
By Alexandre Laurent
Alexandre Laurentl is working in the jewelry and investment gold since 2002. Alexandre graduated from The Normandy School of Business and from the University of Perpignan a Bachelor of economics in 1995.View Archive →